Saturday, November 13, 2010

I play rugby. You should too.

As a high school student, I was never very athletic. I tried cross-country skiing my freshman year, but it didn't really work out so well. My lack of coordination and real drive to do anything more than gasp across the finish line combined into a complete and utter lack of talent.

I did swim on my high school girl's swim team for the three years I was in public school, which, for the most part, I enjoyed. Once again with the not-very-good bit, but I loved my team, the coaches were great, and on occasion I pulled a miraculous time out of nowhere.

Then I came to college. I'll admit, I did pretty much nothing the first quarter of my freshman year. I read a lot, I suppose. (Ok, so there's really no "supposing" there. I read tons)
One of my two roommates, however, started playing woman's rugby for our college club team, and she would always come back from practice covered in grass, mud, and bruises with epically awesome stories about tackling, mauls, and rucks.
*photo credit Maria*

It sounded amazing.

So, winter quarter the same year, I joined the team.
And it was the best decision I've made thus far in my university career.

For those of you who are unaware, rugby is awesome. Like awesome to the power of 10. Times infinity. Squared.

We just played a game against Central Washington University (kicked their asses, thanks very much), so I felt the need to share my love of the game. It's a mad scramble-dash-tackle-ruck-tackle-ruck 80 minute glorious game.

get it, Socoe! (we're in the blue & white) *photo credit to Lindsey*

Granted, I'm not very good at rugby either, but let me just state for the record: I love it. My teammates are amazing, and the team as a whole is pretty freakin' amazing too. (Ranked #1 in Washington state right now, thanks very much!) Finally this is a sport I can throw myself wholly into, a sport I enjoy practicing for, enjoy watching, and enjoy playing. Don't know what I'd do without you, Flames (our team name).

So yeah. You should check it out sometime.

high tackle, sir? HIGH TACKLE! *photo credit Maria*

1 comment: